Tuesday 19 June 2018

Monday - Mixed up Wind and Forecast

The morning started as usual, with Dog River Coffee, followed by breakfast at Bette's, and then a visit to the Sailworks shop to chat with Jim, Dale, Bruce and Phil.  They always seem happy to see us and full of sailing advice.

Temira's forecast was for light winds - maybe marginal windsurfing, so Kent, Rene, Brad, Cam, Cynthia and I went to the Event Site.  Al, Blaine, Harold and Handre went to the Hatchery.  I think they won.  The wind ended up being higher than forecast.  According to the guy's "It was the best sailing day ever!"  Blaine was on his 5.2,  Al was on his 4.8, Harold was on his 4.7, and Handre ended up on his 4.2 and small board.

Rene - rigging his 6m Flyer
Brad, Kent, Rene and I went foiling.  I rigged my 7.0 which was a mistake - I was way overpowered.  Kent was overpowered on his 6.0 and re-rigged to his 5.2.  Kent had the best day of the group keeping everything under control!  Brad was also making it work but said he was purposely trying to keep the board low in the water.  Rene got out on his rig, and a 6.0 but like me was overpowered.
Cynthia had a great day celebrating her anniversary.
Cam tried Kiteboard foiling for a while, and then took out his regular kiteboard (and a bigger kite), and had a great sail.  Cynthia was making it work on the Pumpkin board and a 5.2 sail, and planed most of the time.  She said it was fun.

Ross and Andreas went Kiting from the beach across the river.  Andreas was on an 8m Kite and Ross on a 9m Kite.  They went up to the Hatchery to see the other guy's.  Ross was way overpowered and got yanked on one turn - pulling some muscles next to his ribs.  Ross says he is getting old and seems to be falling apart.  Maybe he is just going too hard!

Brad checking out Kent's rig!
After lunch, I took out a Slingshot Wizard 130L Demo board.  It didn't work.  I was up to my ankles with the board totally underwater when I uphauled, and then it was just pushing too much water to get up on the foil, or even to keep upwind.  I ended up in shallow water towards the end of the sandbar and had to walk back because there was no way to get upwind into deeper water so I could safely.

When I got back, the wind totally died, and everyone came off the water.  A few kites had to be rescued with a jetski - I presume they were rentals or lessons.

My Foiling Rig!
The rest of the guys started showing up to watch while we de-rigged.   I packed up most of my stuff and then drove up to Windance to drop off the demo board I had borrowed.  When I got back Jim from Sailworks had arrived and said that he thought there was enough wind to sail.  He and Kent went out and were foiling.  I re-rigged my sail again, and was just ready to go out - when the wind died again!  I don't think I have ever rigged a new sail as often for as little sailing as I have done with my 7.0 Flyer.  Anyway - good practice.

The call for supper was 6th Street Bistro.  Chris (the owner was there), and happy to see us again.  We took over the upstairs patio.  It was a beautiful calm and warm evening, and the food was excellent as usual.

Cam and Cynthia celebrated their 13th anniversary at Three Rivers.

We had our usual de-brief over a glass of wine or a beer at the condo before turning in - very tired.  I think the daily activities are starting to take a tole.

Cam

Ted





No comments:

Post a Comment