Monday 18 June 2018

Fathers Day - Biking and Golfinig


Fathers Day - Spencer and Dad!
I got up early with Spencer.  We went down to Bette's for breakfast.  After breakfast, he packed up left for Cranbrook.  It will be another eight hour ride!  It was really nice that he had been able to visit us on Fathers Day weekend.  I am a lucky Dad!  So far he has ridden 3500km this trip, and he has two long days of riding to get home.

The forecast was for a very calm day.  I spent the morning catching up on my blog until Blaine came by to insist I join them for a bike ride.

Ted, Kent, and Blaine at the first lookout..
waiting for the others to join us.
The start of the ride was a bit of a gong show.  First, we noticed some bulges on Cynthia's rear tire.  There were lots of discussions but Cam said she would be fine and they would change the tire after the ride.  Then we decided Kent should join us, so we rode over there and waited for him to get ready.  Then Ross told Cynthia she shouldn't be riding on her tire.  Then Handre found a problem with his tire.  The result was a trip to the bike shop.  What was supposed to be a 10 minute stop, turned into over an hour.
A Calm day on the Columbia!
Kent, Blaine and I decided to ride up to the first lookout and then back to the gate while we were waiting.  The air nice and cool and it was sunny, so it was a beautiful day for the ride.  Cam, Cynthia, and Handre finally joined us.

Kent and Handre were on Mountain Bikes, Cam and Cynthia were on road bikes and I was on my E-Bike.  The E-Bike allowed me to keep up on the hills.  It was amazing that Handre and Kent could keep up to the road bikes with their mountain bikes - a real estimate of their fitness.
Handre at the Rowena Lookout

We road past Moser and up towards the Rowena Lookout.  Blaine and Kent turned around about 10km before the Lookout, but Cam, Cynthia Handre and I carried on.  The lookout has a fabulous view of the river!  Again - what a beautiful day.
Cam and Cynthia at the Rowena Lookout.
On the way home, we stopped for ice cream in Moser.  I had fun with Handre on the last few legs.  I would kick up the power on the E-bike, and Handre would try to keep up.  He got a pretty good workout, but on the steeper hills, the E-Bike just gave me too much advantage.  I told him I could be his trainer - keeping just ahead and encouraging him, or taunting him to go faster!  It is interesting, even though I had the E-Bike, I still had a really good workout.  In fact, I had it off for most of the ride - it just helped out with the hills.
Ted at the Rowena Lookout!
At the last lookout, we stopped for the view again and ran into our friend Mike Pocock.  He got back to the Gorge a week ago and is looking forward to sailing with us when the wind picks up again.
Mike Pocock
We got back to the Condos at about 5:00pm.  What a great ride!

Rene, Al, Andreas and Harold spent the afternoon on the golf course.  They were shut down on the thirteenth hole by a lightning and thunderstorm, so no one "won".

Ross purchased a fold-up E-Bike for riding around town.  Later, he loaded his SUP and went for a paddle on the river.

Brad rested, watched the US Open, and tried to get rid of his cold.  He said the cold is almost gone.

Ross and Andreas planned a Barbeque.  We had steaks, with all the trimmings and more than enough wine and beer.  For dessert, Handre and Cam borrowed Ross's and my E-bikes to go and get Ice Cream.  Apparently, they had a lot of fun - I am glad I was not watching - but the bikes were returned without any damage.  It was a great evening - once again most of the world's problems were solved!

Andreas cooking the steaks!

Harold ready to enjoy a great meal!
Handre and Cam going for ice cream on the E-Bikes.





No comments:

Post a Comment