Sunday 10 June 2018

2018-06-10 Here we go again!


Welcome to the 2018 Spring Gorge Trip Blog




After suffering through 180 days of the "Low" being below zero, the ice finally came off the lake on May 3rd.  Of course, once the ice was off, the wind dropped.

I know that this isn't any news to any of you - other than maybe my friends down at Keho who have been kiting a lot (at least that is what it looks like from all the facebook posts), or Ross who has been kiting daily down in the Gorge, or probably Mike P, wherever you are.....

Anyway, I have been out a few times.  Al came out to our place on May 8th, and sailed while I tried (most of the time successfully) to foil!  We had a great day.

Al and Ted at Ted's place!

Then on May 19th, I got out Windsurfing on my 6.6 Hucker.  Another great day!

Ted - Sailing at home!

Unfortunately, I was too busy with a consulting project, and a trip to Fredericton, so missed a bunch of potential foiling days, but I have been doing more biking than usual.  I am just over 400km for the year!  I know that Kent, Blaine or Brad could probably do that after work in an evening, but for me, that is a lot of rides and a lot of km.  Louise has been enjoying her E-Bike, and I have enjoyed trying to keep up to her.  I don't have much trouble keeping up on the flats, but she blows me away on the hills.... just waves and says she will wait at the top....

We did a 50km ride around Camrose on Friday with a stop at Tim's for breakfast, and then another for a Smoothie before heading home.  It was a leisurely ride, with the stop for breakfast taking longer than we planned as we met and talked with one set of friends and then another.  Great day!



I also got out foiling behind the boat on Friday.  That was a lot of fun, but tricky.  The first time Louise pulled me out, she added a little bit too much power and I launched!  Sorry, no photos as we didn't have a spotter - oops.....I guess we are not supposed to do that.

I could be foiling today - maybe even windsurfing, but it is 9c and raining.  There are even wind warnings for the next few days....  What do they say about leaving wind to find wind?  Anyway, I think I will wait for Tuesday, and hopefully, it will be warmer in Oregon!

Kent is leaving from Wabamum tomorrow morning and I am leaving from Camrose.  He will head down through Rocky Mountain House to Banff, and I will go straight down through Calgary and Nanton.  We plan to meet up in Cranbrook and then convoy down to Ritzville where we will stay the night.  Hope to be sailing or foiling on Tuesday!  I am looking forward to meeting you all down there!  Safe travels!

Al with his rig after sailing!


Ted - Foiling!






No comments:

Post a Comment